Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Some recent ideas for an MMO

Okay so I've been readin around the block a bit, mainly Mr. Jennings' post of PvP and the comments following that post. But I thought of a couple ideas and I might not know how to explain them. My ideas usually come in the vague form of a game that doesn't exist, so you may have to try and imagine this game with me.

First off, Player Controlled Advancement. I didn't play Face of Mankind much, but I believe they had a form of this. I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but for idea #2, it would make it quite interesting to have this. Mainly, think of a corporation, there's levels, hierarchy, some of these levels you won't even see the waiting room for. That's life, I think some people would be able to accept this (I mean shit look at WoW, look at all the drones), and others would be attempting to climb some ladders.

For this you will need levels (maybe skills, but yes, numbers by which you judge your capability), your level cap shouldn't be cut short by your lack of ladder climbing. For this to make sense, think of military movies, the best at fighting soldier isn't the highest ranking soldier. It sucks to say think of movies when describing a game, but I think back to the Jennings/Rickey interview and they talk about movies a lot so I'm no longer trying to hide my source of inspiration/influence.

Okay, so some people will never see into the bosses office. That will infuriate them, that they aren't trusted. But so what if someone can get into the bosses office and gank him, why would it be that big of a deal? Well here's where idea #2 comes in.

Permadeath by Zone. If you die in the bosses office, you're permanently dead, people don't fuck around in the bosses office. So people can try coups at their own risk, and the boss will definitely want to surround himself with plenty of trustworthy people. The cool thing is there can be more than one corporation. There can be small player run companies, I guess business will mainly involve killing or crafting, but who knows. So, say a subsection of Player Run Company A's purpose of existence is to infiltrate Corporation A's bosses office and take it over. They have to lay low, they can't be known as a threat to the boss of Corp A, they have to leave their company and infiltrate the corporation. (Can anybody else hear the EVE players rejoicing?)

Let's say Corporation B doesn't like the way Boss A at Corporation A is running his shit. He can hire a player assassin to attempt to infiltrate the Corporation's offices and kill the boss. Which is risky. You know how he'll do it, obviously, I mean you've seen the movie right? Air ducts! Durr! But how does the assassin get paid? Half now half later, newb. Deposits his first half in a family bank account so only toons from his account can access it. Kind of a neat idea huh?

Next, I'd like to bring to light an idea I've had for a "Carebear Race". Okay so, there's a more advanced race, they're "better". They're less violent, more passive when it comes to fighting (pvp), and they're able to discourage fighting. Here's an imaginary encounter as a PKer attempting to kill one of these races. I attack, he uses his defense mechanism of pacifism which makes him invulnerable 100% for 2 seconds, 80% for 2 sec, 60% for 2 sec, etc. They also get a movement haste that works like the invuln shield except in reverse. So for 2 sec they get 20% haste, 2 sec 40% haste, etc.

How do you make it so the invuln can't be exploited? SNURF SNURF. Well, I'd say make it only usable once you've been flagged for PvP. Maybe this carebear race could even toggle (in town or somewhere special) if they can be attacked or not for PvP. This would make them a juicy challenge for the scary PKs, that's the goal anyway.

This race dying would affect the others of that race. Possibly sparking a retaliation. When these guys work together, amazing things can happen, they're the superior race remember? The only thing is, teamwork is crucial, so I guess imagine heroic opportunities in EQ2 except on a possibly larger more complicated scale. Mainly what I'd like to see when they do work together, is a zerg being covered by a massive invuln bubble or a massive half invulvn have uber dmg shield. When these guys work together, I want them to have triumphant victories, I want my team to be pissed off at them so much. I want to ween them into PvPing more.

Alright, the third idea about the carebear race isn't apart of the first "game". It probably could be on a gay friendly alien ally scale, but who cares.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about a Lack of Information problem a lot of newer games are experiencing. One thing that I enjoyed the most in my earlier online gaming years was looking at websites that had all of the skills/factions/races/classes/INFORMATION about the game I was playing. Sometimes if a games skill set was too bland (WoWhat?) I could even get discouraged by the lameness and quit. It was good. But nowadays when I go looking for this information for the game I want to play, it's nowhere to be found.

So in the voice of Jerry Seinfeld I say: "What is with all the lack of information for today's online games?"

That is all, thanks for stoppin by.

No comments: