Monday, April 7, 2008

Had a little fun with numbers

Inflating them, that is. Note: This post is not a contradiction of my last post, as it doesn't really relate to MMOs. Instead it has to do with my traffic.

See, on the 28th of March, I created a post and hot linked an image (not hot spots). Which basically means, in the img tag I used someone else's url besides my own. I did this for the Droideka picture, which was the first google image result for the search: "Droideka".

Since this time, my traffic has greatly increased. We have reached ludicrous speed. If you know what I mean. Here is a graph of my traffic (visits/page views) for the last 30 days.

phat lewts eh


Now, you probably notice that the jump in traffic doesn't start on the 28th. Weird, huh? Something tells me it has to do with the amount of time it takes for google to uhh, google shit. I don't know.

But, if you look at referring URLs, for the last 60 visitors (little over 70 for the whole month of April so far) then you can start to see what I'm talking about.

neat #1


neat #2


neat #3


Hopefully you can see all of the google domains shortly followed by img of some sort and maybe if you're lucky you'll see a lot of Droidekas too.

At first it was a little exhilarating, I won't lie, but eventually I realized I was only cheating myself. Plus, hot linking images is frowned upon in the web world (though I was not contacted by anyone). I did have a post with a hot linked image of Han Solo (obviously it was the #1 search result) which was simply titled: "I am Han Solo", simply because I play a Smuggler now. But I deleted it after a few minutes, felt too lame.

This spike in traffic also tempted my fraudulent side, lols, considered putting some AdSense back on my page. However, I am better than that! Ah ha! Take that!

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted, however, I have downloaded the image myself and hosted it on my flickr, hopefully by some miracles of teh google gods, the traffic won't stop. But, it probably will :p

No comments: