Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ugh, not this again!

Yep, this post's name is the same as that little tagline doohickey at the top of the page. But, it isn't because of the tagline, it is because I am not playing Darkfall.

So since I'm not playing Darkfall, I've got to be playing something, right? I mean, how the hell am I supposed to pass the time after work without playing some sort of MMO?

Since I need to spend more time off the computer (even though it doesn't even seem like it's fucking working) I decided I would play some Diablo 2 in single player mode. I wanted to relive one of my first class builds and rolled a Paladin. I intended on speccing into Concentration and Blessed Hammer, which are received at level 18.

As I said last time I was level 17. Well, I hit 18 recently and got both of the skills needed to live out my Diablo 2 dream. After using it a bit and leveling a couple more times, I began to realize that this build sucks. See, the problem with Blessed Hammer is that if the spiraling hammer hits a wall, it fucking stops existing. Why would this be a problem? Oh I don't know, Maggot Lair in Act 2, anyone? Every small quarters place in the game, maybe?

Indeed I did not think it through.

Which brings me to the title of this post and tag line of this blog.

I've started another DAoC free trial. I decided I would play Albion this time 'round and have chosen a Wind specced Theurgist (oh hells yeah). I'm already level 6 and I just started last night. I've pretty much done everything I usually do in the Tutorial Zone (get a full suit of armor) and I believe I will be heading back to the main land today when I play.

What makes me sad is that I will probably end up either farming mobs in BGs, running Task Dungeons, or some other new fangled way to level extremely quickly. My best memories are of farming those fuckin Tomte and the Drakes near Nisse's. So that is what I would like to try and achieve.

Now I know I can't go into Midgard and go to Nisse's but I can find the lowest level Albion dungeon and WTF rape that shit for breakfast. Then again, casters suck in close quarters (dungeon) combat. I guess the worst part is that it is a game where you care about phat lewts but the best phats for low levels isn't even dropped but bought off an NPC. Sure I've got to go into Catacombs and dungeon dive a bit farming aurulite, which could be considered as dropped, but let's face it, I'm buying it from an NPC.

Now I could go full on rebel and boycot aurulite armor, only wearing phat lewts dropped by mobs in the classic (or even SI, or even Catacombs!) lands, which may be something I try, but if I decide to PvP after that I'll probably get raped.

Quite the conundrum!

But is it even going to be worth it? I know I can make it to max level before the 2 week trial is up, I've done it before, but I won't be able to do anything Labyrinth of the Minotaur, I won't be geared at all for any kind of RvR, and I won't have any Champion Levels/Abilities from Darkness Rising. So am I just making a BG warrior? Am I just trying to relive my past of farming mobs instead of questing to level? Am I even going to enjoy myself?

I don't know.

But I do know that a few other games are looking like mighty fine choices as well, it's just too bad I've already played them all.

So if I make it beyond Thidranki in DAoC my lineup of games I'd like to play next looks like this: (In no particular order)

SWG
EQ2
WoW
LotRO
AO (That's Anarchy Online, not Atlantica or whatever)
GW

I could throw WAR on there if I didn't play it so recently and you may as well consider SWG as the game that I'm going to be playing last (for the same reason).

Anarchy Online almost always gives me a feeling of shitty everytime I start playing it. I like being able to /random me some missions, especially with that program that scans them all for phat lewts you want to acquire, but I could see myself getting burned out quickly. But hey, it is free and I already have a level 30-40 something Martial Artist (I think) so why not just have as much fun with it as I can for a few.

EQ2 gives me similar feelings to AO, mainly because the Commonlands are so hard to get the fuck out of. I've got at least 2 toons near the top of that level range and once I get there it just sucks ass. Die to 3 mobs die to 2 mobs die to mobs mobs, soloing isn't allowed here! I know that isn't really true, but it is close. Plus the PvP server is ridiculous, I'm not even going into how lame it is to have a twinked out commonlands bitch (especially when you have much higher level toons to play, you fuckhead).

GW would probably suck pretty quickly. I don't have any of the expansions and I don't want them either. My PvP toon is an Elementalist (right?) / Scout (Ranger?). I am set up to do uber fire spells with lots of AE, lots of DMG, and lots of knockdown. When I get in trouble, my Ranger skills save my butt. There was a time when I could really kick some ass from a distance and then when they get close to me they're pretty much asking to die. Ahh, the good times. Probably not going to play.

Of the games I've gone more in depth on so far, I plan on playing zero of them long term. Which probably means I won't even bother.

You can go ahead and include LotRO in the list of games I will not be playing long term/probably at all. I got to 15 on a Minstrel and while the screaming thing was pretty cool, I don't like being forced to group. (Well, unless it is Darkfall)

WoW I honestly could see myself sticking with for at least a month (a month used to be my limit but with my last SWG stint lasting 2 months, I may have evolved) if not more, and it really hurts me to say that. However, I am only level 56, so it isn't like I've been there done that yet. Shit, I don't even have TBC yet. What!

I bet some are wondering, what about EVE? Haha, no no no thank you. I did that for a little bit and that's about all I'm doing with it. I hate being forced into grouping when I feel retarded. I want to feel good about my skills before I am forced to group. With Darkfall, I was pretty sure I was a leet mofugga from the get go, which made it much easier to group. Plus my guild was a bunch of drunks with mandatory chuggings on vent.

I do miss my guild.

Fuck Diablo 2, srsly.
Fuck CoH/CoV, cereally.
Fuck EQ1, UO, AO, EQ2, LotRO, and GW, indeffinitely.

The pool sure is getting smaller. I keep making my rounds in the MMO worlds and keep chucking more to the weeds each time.

I feel like I am forgetting about some game that I have toons in and I enjoy playing, but I'm pretty sure that isn't true. It sure is depressing though!

DAoC, WoW, WAR, SWG, UGH! Not this again!

6 comments:

pitrellismmoblog said...

Well your back to floating around MMOs, why not have a look at some of the free mmos on offer?

-Shiaya (spelling)
-Chronicles of Spellborn is free atm i think
-Rappelz
-Runes of ???
etc etc

Also have a look at betas on offer.

If you are returning to WoW and are indeed level 56 it wont be too bad, especially if you havent tried TBC yet. You can usually pick it up cheap these days anyway.

I remember you saying you have a Warlock which are actually quite cool these days (i just dont have the patience for them) and can turn into a demon. Id recommend you bought TBC and WoTLK so you can roll a death knight as if you love pvp and ganking people they are great. You also get the advantage of creating them on any realm any faction and they start at level 55. Because you dont plan on staying for more than a month however it may not be worth your while.

Shame because you would like Wintergrasp pvp area

Bonedead said...

This comment inspires me to write another post. I've been cranking these things out lately.

Tallon said...

I can't help but think this is related to the points I was making my 'everyone likes item loot' post.

seems like you are seeking other things to play, but getting bored really quickly because you already know 90% of the strategies available in those games. (Your Diablo 2 story is mainly what makes me think that).

Regardless, a good read again :)

Bonedead said...

Thanks Tallon.

Indeed I know the ins and outs of most of the games I listed. Not EVE though, I just can't get into that game passed the newb parts.

DAoC is probably my favorite all time (maybe Darkfall now, but I can't play it so meh!) but I will admit that WoW is a good time waster as well.

Tallon said...

yea I had the same problem with Eve, my friend just reactivated WoW and showed me some of the new stuff (mounts/pets having a menu instead of being in your backpack now, the 'achievements' system).

my reaction was 'meh'

If you like RTS games Dawn of War II has given me some good entertainment, doing the campaign co-op with a friend was a blast too.

Otherwise I mostly keep myself occupied with Rockband 2, which I find endlessly entertaining and am learning a real skill from (playing the drums).

Bonedead said...

The only new thing in WoW that makes me want to play are the heirloom items. Reminds me of Diablo 2 uniques before they got level requirements.