Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What is with all the hate?

First let me start off by saying, I fucking know that I'm guilty of everything I'm about to talk about, okay.

I know this post isn't going to change shit about anything, but for some reason I just want to talk about it a bit more. I think one of the main reasons I am tired of it is because it makes me angry, it makes me want to pick a side and start taking shots at people. I don't want to do that, damnit, and I don't want to have to stop reading about MMOs either.

PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN YOU.

Every fucking thing that is opinion based has become a fucking team sport. Republicans, Democrats, and Libertarians. Why the fuck do we need all of this separation? Why are we constantly trying to divide ourselves?

You're pro abortion? You leftist baby killer!

You're anti gay marriage? You right wing zealot!

Shut the fuck up. Take a step back. Look at the big picture.

As much as you want to be unique and stand out from others, you're just blending in with your "team".

The most prominent example of this from the MMO world that I can offer involves Darkfall and what seems like every MMO gamer. Among the Pro-Darkfall crowd it was cool to hate WoW. Among the Pro-WoW crowd it was cool to hate Darkfall. It still is. I was a part of it and looking back I feel like a real jackass.

It also goes hand in hand with blogging. Why?

Because people are figuring out that if you post something controversial (like say, WoW sucks, Darkfall owns it) it will start a shit storm of traffic to your blog and get the whole community going.

It reminds me a lot of mainstream media today. Only bad things, shocking things, absurd things, and things that contain strong support for our team! It's getting old people.

If you think about it, there really isn't anything to blog about when it comes to MMOs. It is all drama and gossip and blown way out of proportion sneak previews and shit.

Everyone cares about shit being EPIC and THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT and stupid EXTRAVAGANT AMAZING EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PREVIEW EXTRAVAGANZA.

Can we shut the fuck up and be real please? Can you act like I'm a normal human being capable of thinking for myself? Can you act like a normal human being capable of thinking for yourself?

No comments: